Wednesday, April 20, 2011

BEWITCHED

     There are days when I wish I could just move my nose in a couple directions and "voila", my
drawers, cabinets, and closets could be in perfect order.  All the clutter in my house gone and
all the toys in the house perfectly organized. Don't get me wrong my house is clean but it's just not perfectly zen yet.   I have two weeks before baby number 3 is here and yes my hormones are a bit out of control. Some call it nesting, I call it being a triple virgo.   I lay in bed thinking about every drawer that needs cleaning, every item I need for the baby, last year's family movies that I have not yet put together and much more.
     More importantly,  did my kids eat well today?  HMMMMM not bad, they both ate fruit and veggies today although I allowed Julien to eat 5 fruit loops because he's almost five and Leo 2 because he's two.  The box got thrown out quickly afterwards.  Why are there fruit loops in my cabinets?   Good question, they were brought home by my loving husband, thinking it would please the kids and did it ever! Nothing like those bright glowing colors! First pet peeve when it comes to food and kids is definitely the conventional strawberries but my second one is FOOD COLORING! Did you know that food colorings are made from petroleum?  Studies have been done on groups of kids and their behavior after they eat sugar compared to kids who have had sugar along with food colorings and the kids who had the sugar with the food coloring went bonkers compared to the kids who just had the sugar.  I mean do we really think it's ok for our kids to drink neon yellow and blue gatorade or anything that is going to turn their tongues a neon color? This is a tough one because the truth is food coloring is in everything.  Everything that is processed that is. Even in the kids vitamins. If you are looking for an alternative to the kids vitamins that are not filled with colorings,  L'il Critters multivitamins are a good choice. They have natural food colorings, meaning the colors are made from beet juice and all sorts of natural colorings and you can find them at Target.  Anyways, if you don't believe me, observe your kids behavior this week-end after they have eaten the candy with the petroleum, I mean food coloring, and decide for yourself!  I'm just going to sit back and keep daydreaming about possessing Samantha's powers.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, great articles. Keep up the good work. What do you think about processed lunch meats? Marvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks
    Hi Marvin,
    Lunch meats are very salty for kids but the most important thing is to look for antibiotic free deli meats...applegate farms makes a pretty good deli meat. If you can find deli meats that are organic and the animal, is
    just grass fed ( if it's a cow) that's the best of the best but hard to find.
    :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete